KNOW YOUR PATIENTS’ NUMBERS
The eGFR calculations in your patients’ metabolic panel make it easy to track kidney function and diagnose CKD.
Screen your patients' eGFR regularly, especially those who are high-risk for CKD. For patients who've experienced kidney function loss, take action. The following chart can help explain eGFR in terms of "kidney function remaining" to your patients.8
THE FIVE STAGES OF CKD8
RELIEVE THE PRESSURE. DIAGNOSE AND DISCUSS.
eGFR test results can help explain declining kidney function to your patients.
CKD, chronic kidney disease; CV, cardiovascular; eGFR, estimated glomerular filtration rate; GFR, glomerular filtration rate.
- Ryan TP et al. Am J Med. 2007;120(11):981–986.
- Ravera M et al. Am J Kidney Dis. 2011;57(1):71–77.
- GBD Chronic Kidney Disease Collaboration, Lancet. 2020;395(10225):709–733.
- Alabama Department of Public Health. Special Task Force on Chronic Kidney Disease report. April 2007. Accessed 20 November 2020.
- Kidney Disease: The Basics. National Kidney Foundation. Published May 2020. Accessed 20 November 2020.
- Brenner BM et al. N Engl J Med. 2001;345(12):861–869.
- Go AS et al. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(13):1296–1305.
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR). National Kidney Foundation. Reviewed 14 September 2020. Accessed 25 November 2020.
- Ghaderian SB et al. J Renal Inj Prev. 2014;3(4):109–110.
- Courser WG et al. Kidney Int. 2011;80(12):1258–1270.
- Chronic kidney disease basics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Page reviewed 7 February 2020. Accessed 6 October 2020.
- Kidney Disease Stats. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. December 2016. Accessed 25 November 2020.
- Yacoub R, Habib H, Lahdo A, et al. Association between smoking and chronic kidney disease: A case control study. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:731.
- Schnaper HW. Pediatr Nephrol. 2014;29(2):193–202.